150 journaling prompts for self-discovery
The proof is in the pudding: journaling can be hugely beneficial for just about every aspect of your life: mental health, improved organization, and even your journey of self-discovery. Just look at the science: Research from Pennsylvania State University found that journaling can increase overall well-being and reduce overall mental distress. What more reason do you need to pick up the pen and access it? With those 150 journaling prompts for self-discoveryyou will not only start to feel better and more at peace, but you may also start to know yourself a little better.
150 journaling prompts for self-discovery
1. Who am I when no one else is around?
2. What are the things (activities or people) that nourish my soul?
3. When do I feel most authentically myself?
4. What was my childhood *really* like and what lessons or habits did I take with me into adulthood?
5. What relationships in my life mean the most to me?
6. What does taking care of me mean?
7. What are the qualities of a friend that I cherish the most?
8. What do my friends and family like about me?
9. How can I improve?
10. What does personal care look like to me?
Related: The First 3 Words You See Will Sum Up Your 2023! Plus, additional New Year’s word searches for even more fun
11. Where in the world do I feel the most at peace?
12. How could I live my life more authentically as I really want?
13. What does peace mean to me?
14. When do I feel most exhausted?
15. Where can I always turn when I need a dose of reality or good advice?
16. Do I trust myself to make the “right” decisions?
17. What can I do myself to avoid burnout?
18. How do I feel about my past choices?
19. What would “achieving” happiness really look like to me?
20. What would it be like if mental health wasn’t an issue for me?
Related: An Easy Resolution for 2023? Delete all your unread emails in just a few clicks
21. What can I do to support myself better? Others?
22. How did my childhood shape who I am today?
23. What is one thing I can change in my routine tomorrow to improve?
24. What is one thing I tend to do to get validation from others?
25. What would it be like to “get back” my life?
26. How did where I grew up shape who I am today?
27. What can I do to turn a negative in my life into a positive?
28. What emotions am I clinging to and can’t let go of?
29. In the past, when have I acted out of fear?
30. How important is what other people think?
Related: This mashup masterfully combines the hottest songs of 2022
31. What is one relationship in my life that I can work on?
32. What are some of the things that tend to cause my mental health to take a negative turn?
33. What can I do to work on my relationship with myself?
34. What does strength look like to me?
35. What is a bad habit that I could afford to give up?
36. What in life challenges me the most?
37. In life, who challenges me the most?
38. What limiting beliefs am I holding on to?
39. What would it be like to let go completely?
40. How has perfectionism bothered me?
Related: 40 mental health quotes to lift your spirits and help you feel less alone
41. What does the “best” version of me look like?
42. Who do I admire the most and why?
43. What can I do today that the future me will thank me for?
44. What is the root of my tendency to procrastinate?
45. In what situations do I most often feel anxious?
46. How did you feel when I experienced failure in the past?
47. What does success look like to me?
48. What can I do to reclaim the idea of failure in my own mind?
49. If I died tomorrow, what would be my biggest regret?
50. How does anxiety affect my life?
Related: 10 Awesome Mental Health Podcasts You Need to Subscribe to Right Now – Your Brain Will Thank You
51. What are the things I haven’t done yet that I want? What’s stopping me?
52. What do I need most from myself?
53. What do I need most from the people around me?
54. How can I develop my own awareness?
55. What can I do to be more open-minded?
56. What does a mental block look like?
57. In what areas of my life do I have a mental block?
58. How did my parents shape who I am?
59. What are my core values?
60. What does open-mindedness look like to me?
Related: Self-Care Has Never Been More Important, So We’ve Found the Best Apps to Help You on Your Journey
61. What three beliefs do I hold most dear?
62. What kind of parent do I want to be?
63. Throughout my life, what has been my most difficult struggle?
64. What do I want to learn?
65. What is one thing that happened in my past that I am still confused about?
66. What does self-discovery mean to me?
67. What are my feelings about death and the afterlife?
68. What is the afterlife like?
69. How has mourning shaped me?
70. Who can I benefit most from learning?
Related: What is a Bullet Journal? Plus, 25 Cute and Stylish BuJos to Keep You Organized This Year
71. How much time do I spend on social media?
72. What does it feel like when I feel most connected?
73. What is a relationship that no longer serves me?
74. How does it feel to disconnect from the internet?
75. What three negative thoughts do I think about myself?
76. In the past, how have I judged others?
77. In what ways did I criticize myself?
78. How could I change my relationship with food for the better?
79. When was the last time I really kissed my body?
80. What is my visceral reaction in times of crisis?
Related: 15 Free Bullet Journal Printables So You Can Track Everything From Moods to Fitness Goals
81. What is the goal that I have since forgotten and can resume?
82. How do you measure success?
83. How does it feel to be hurt by someone else’s actions or words?
84. Am I keeping secrets that I won’t allow myself to be accepted with?
85. What does setting a goal mean?
86. What is a time when I hurt myself?
87. How can I be more assertive in situations I tend to avoid?
88. What would it be like if I shared my innermost secrets with someone else?
89. When was the most confident time?
90. How to define vulnerability?
Related: 101 Anxiety Quotes to Help You Through It and Lift Your Spirits
91. What are the things that seem out of reach?
92. What will my ideal life look like in a year? Five? Ten?
93. If I could have a conversation with anyone in the world, who would I want to talk to?
94. How am I feeling right now?
95. What does trust look like?
96. What unrealistic expectations am I still holding myself to?
97. In what ways am I not healed yet?
98. If I could give myself one thing – a quality or a mindset – what would it be?
99. What is my intention for today?
100. What does my dream life look like and what can I do to get there?
Related: How to Manifest Anything in 10 Simple Steps, According to Real People Who’ve Done It!
101. Where would I like to go somewhere I’ve never been?
102. What stops me from trying something new?
103. How do my loved ones have a positive impact on me?
104. When do I feel least in control?
105. What is the most beautiful thing I have experienced?
106. How happy am I at work?
107. What can I do tomorrow to live my life to the fullest?
108. What does control mean to me?
109. How can I find peace within myself?
110. What am I trying to get out of life?
Related: Writing Prompts to Improve Your Mental Health
111. What is the hardest thing I have endured?
112. What have I learned from a past trial?
113. What does regret look like?
114. How to define forgiveness?
115. Who have I not yet forgiven and for what?
116. How can I heal from regret?
117. Have I forgiven myself?
118. What can I do to forgive myself?
119. What is one thing I held on to that really isn’t my fault?
120. Who am I to blame for my past struggles or mistakes?
Related: Helpful Goal Setting Worksheets
121. In times when I am mean to myself, what would I say to my child?
122. What would it be like to start over?
123. Today, what did I see, hear and remember?
124. What is the subject that I would like to explore on my own or during a conversation with friends?
125. Right now, am I doing my best?
126. What would I never change about myself?
127. In what ways have I blessed others this week?
128. What impact do I want to leave on the world?
129. If I had the chance to do something again, how would I do it differently?
130. What is it like to have a positive outlook on adversity?
Related: The best planners to help you get organized for the year ahead
131. What is a habit I picked up from someone else? Why? Is it really mine?
132. What makes me me?
133. How to define “consciousness”?
134. In what situations do I thrive the most?
135. What takes me out of my comfort zone?
136. What can I do to think outside the box?
137. What haven’t I understood yet?
138. What is the benefit of staying in my comfort zone?
139. What is the benefit of leaving my comfort zone?
140. What haven’t I accepted yet?
Related: 15 Anxiety Diaries to Reduce Stress and Help You Feel a Little Calmer Right Now
141. How has anxiety ruled my life?
142. What would I like to know about relationships? About the wedding?
143. Who hurt me in the past that I truly forgive?
144. What does empathy look like?
145. What is my love language?
146. How can I more effectively address my own struggles?
147. What is the generational cycle that I would like to break and how can I break it?
148. What can I do to find myself where I am right now?
149. How would I describe myself to someone I just met?
150. How can I meet my own needs?
Then here are 55 New Year’s resolution ideas for 2023.